1.2
Service Scheduling
Turnaround Time

We have been a customer since 2008. In that time we have only needed to use the service twice, the last time being in 2015.

On both occasions, CCHS sent a local service provider based in our town. Recently, we filed a claim for our furnace, which was not working properly. For several weeks, we received the worst possible customer service one could imagine. Several times I was on hold for several hours, one time resulting in my actual land-line cordless phone running out of battery.

CCHS kept saying they could not find a service provider in our area. Eventually, after sending e-mails, phone calls, even Facebook messages, we got a response saying that CCHS did not have any service providers in our area. They gave us the option of opting into a "owner co-option plan" where we could choose our own provider, but they had to accept 3rd party billing, and if not, we would be responsible for paying the cost of the "covered" repairs up front, and THEN CCHS would reimburse us for said repairs. I am failing to understand how they can rightfully charge our for a service they cannot provide.

If they have no service providers in our area, why weren't we notified? A home warranty plan isn't very useful if you have to pay the cost upfront, is it? I feel CCHS has been charging us for services they knowingly could not provide to us. I know they worked with providers in our area at one time, because we used two separate ones on two separate occasions.

It seems those providers decided to no longer work with CCHS, and I can certainly see why. We live in northwest Illinois and couldn't wait weeks and weeks while we got the run-around to get our furnace fixed. We ended up purchasing a new unit on our own.

I will be cancelling my contract with CCHS, and filing complaints with the appropriate agencies. Please, consumers...avoid doing business with this company.

Product or Service Mentioned: Cross Country Home Services Home Warranty.

Preferred solution: Since the company no longer have service providers in my area, I feel I should be re-imbursed for my premiums starting with when they could no longer offer us the service we have been paying for..

Comments

#1621987

You are better off that they didn’t get ahold of your furnace. You would not have been happy with what they proposed if they had sent someone.

Take it from a former contractor, the contractor only gets paid to keep costs to an absolute nothing for CCHS—by whatever means possible. Denials, delays, cheap fixes, and all sorts of techniques to get rid of you. The reason being that the only way to receive any work from ANY home warranty company is to charge them nothing, even when it means losing money and providing a whole bunch of parts, labor and even new equipment. It is actually the contractor that is expected to fund the repair work!

The contractors in your area must have all figured out that home warranty customers are ungrateful complainers (albeit justified!) who will never be satisfied with how little they get in return for their investment, and they don’t want their business reputation dragged through the mud. It is the same thing happening all around the country, with every single home warranty company and all their service people. It is a game that cannot be won.

So had CCHS sent someone to look at your furnace, you would have gotten a claim denial, or a temporary fix, or a long wait time on a part, or some super high, made up non-covered costs. Consider yourself spared of the aggravation and at least you have heat again!